Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Everything's Relative

Here are the ten phases of painting, at least in my book:

  • Enthusiasm - Defined as the stage when I have selected an image and can just picture it in my head how it will turn out. I can't wait to start the new project and tend to dive in head first, almost before cleaning my last pallet.
  • Optimism - The drawings look good and I've got it transferred to the canvas and have blocked in the color. Everything is going swimmingly and I lose myself in the project. 
  • Fear - Suddenly something looks off. The more I try to resolve the issue the worse it seems to get.
  • Avoidance - Every time I walk past my studio I wince in pain at the...
  • Loss - Of all of my previous enthusiasm and optimism. I find excuses not to paint. This is when a good deal of housework gets done. Even brass gets polished.
  • Resolve - Gritting my teeth I convince myself I can fix this and move ahead.
  • Despair - Prior fears get the best of me and I start doubting the whole thing.
  • Distance - I start looking at it from 20 feet away and, hmmm, it doesn't look half bad. I check it out in the morning as I head down for my coffee and again at night before I go to bed and I start thinking things might be okay.
  • Renewal - I take a "to hell with it" attitude and forge ahead. Inevitably the background gets finished and things begin to look good. I add highlights and deepen shadows and I squeak through to...
  • Ta da! It all falls into place and I come to love the thing that a few days ago was a hopeless mess. 
Relativity © Lissa Banks 2018
Such is the life cycle of a painting. I named this one Relativity because time seemed to have stood still during its completion. If I hadn't been tracking my hours at the easel I would have sworn it took me weeks and weeks to finish. It didn't...it was a relatively quick finish. The pain and agony are forgotten and I start thinking, mmm, maybe I should start painting people again.


I invite you to visit my website where you can now sign up to receive now and again emails that will keep you up to date with where I’m showing, when I post these musings, and when I am offering special sales and promotions! My site is secure and I PROMISE never to sell your information.

  For more about my work follow me on Facebook or visit my website Lissa Banks Paintings to learn how to purchase an original. You can purchase prints for sale at  FineArtAmerica.com.



No comments :

Post a Comment