Saturday, May 1, 2010

Calla Gerbera Calla Gerbera

Callas Gone Wild

In one of my childhood homes we had a forgotten corner of the yard where calla lilies ran wild.  Nobody tended them and they thanked us for respecting their privacy by producing amazing blooms.  I wish I had that small "field" these days.  I'm lucky, as I've said before, if I get three at a time...so I buy them.  But I digress...

I was late getting to Trader Joe's one day and had a choice of white, white or white flowers.  I opted for white flowers. 

This grouping is perfect for a dinner party as the flowers are low enough to talk over and yet they have the impact of a larger, much more dramatic arrangement.  All there are here are gerbera daisies and mini-calla lilies with a few calla leaves added in.  I snipped some clivia leaves and wrapped the inside of the fishbowl vases before adding water and placing the flowers. 

A tip about gerberas.  Try not to touch the stem close to the flower heads as it causes them to weaken and droop.  I'm sure you've experienced that disappointment.

No comments :

Post a Comment